Healthier Cinnamon Apple Crisp
Select an apple variety with lots of flavor to make this favorite dessert with nutritious ingredients:
- 8-10 washed, unpeeled, sliced or diced apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, Earth Balance or Smart Balance buttery spread, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the sliced or diced apples in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice.
- Mix the sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and cinnamon, then sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over apple mixture.
- Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, walnuts and melted buttery spread together.
- Crumble over the apples and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.