7 Surprising Reasons You Are Not Losing Weight
It is the new year and you may be tired of eating rich holiday foods, indulging in sweets and high calorie beverages. You could even be tired of sitting around watching TV and want to get moving, but the weather is cold, and you have so much to do that you can’t find time! What do you think are the reasons that you are not losing weight?
As a Certified Health and Wellness Coach, I have spent the last decade researching weight loss-what works and what doesn’t. I became interested in learning about health and what it means to be physically fit when I lost most of my family members to heart disease. I discovered that 80-90% of diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain cancers are preventable by living a healthy lifestyle, reaching and maintaining a healthy weight, eating nutritious foods, and being active. What’s more, new research has proven that being sedentary is more harmful than smoking. So what are the secrets to permanent weight loss? Below are some surprising reasons you may not be able to lose weight and the solutions to change this problem. Do you identify with any of these?
- You keep going on and off diets. Solution: Don’t diet. Create a healthy lifestyle you enjoy. Eat for your health.
- You overdo exercise for a period of time and then give up. Solution: participate in activities you like.
- You skip meals, especially breakfast. Solution: Eat 3 smaller meals and healthy snacks daily.
- You don’t have a meal plan. Solution: Make a weekly meal plan and shop for ingredients to have on hand.
- You eat too much, or too little or cut out whole food groups. Solution: Eat from the food groups in the proper portion sizes.
- You have a love-hate relationship with food. Solution: Appreciate real, whole fresh food and view food as fuel.
- You don’t know how much fat, sodium, sugar and calories are in your food. Solution: learn what your body needs. Learn about nutrition.
These are just a few of the ways we do battle with food and our weight. If you would like a fresh approach to eating and exercise, then please read my book, Health Coach Wisdom-You Have the Power to Be Healthy. It is a step by step guide for getting your health and life back on track. Or if you prefer, contact me about how wellness coaching can help you. Having a support system is helpful for breaking free from old patterns. I wish you a healthy and happy 2016.
My sister’s original stacked enchiladas. Together, we learned how to reduce the fat, and to eat smaller portions with a tossed green salad. We still enjoy them, but make a healthier version now.