Veracruz – A Simple and Heart Healthy Recipe for Fish
This recipe is so simple that it almost prepares itself! If you want to add more fish to your eating plan, you’ll want to try this recipe with any fish you like. Eating fish twice weekly is recommended for a heart-healthy diet, and this is a delicious way to stay healthy!
Veracruz sauce or Pescado a la Veracruzana literally means fish in the style of Veracruz, a coastal area known for it’s abundant seafood and rich culinary history. My friend Marcos, a great chef taught me to add the sliced peppers and onions on top to capture the fresh flavors, and to add a little chili powder to the tomato sauce for an extra kick.
- One 15-oz can diced tomatoes or fresh if you have them
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 med bell peppers, red & green, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 pound Red Snapper or other fish fillets
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro
- Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and layer with 1/2 of the onions.
- Arrange the Red Snapper fillets over the onions. Top with bell peppers and remaining onions.
- In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, chicken broth, wine and garlic.
- Heat to a simmer and pour over the fish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with brown rice and sauteed kale or spinach.
Nutrition information for Snapper recipe: Serving size: 5 ounces, plus 1 cup of sauce. Amount per serving: 230 calories, total fat 4.5 grams, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 370 mg, Carbohydrates 13 g, Fiber 3 g, sugar 7 g, protein 33 grams.
This recipe comes from my book, Health Coach Wisdom– You Have the Power to Be Healthy filled with two weeks of heart healthy recipes for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks and more. You will also find key meal planning and healthy cooking tips. This book is your guide to heart-healthy living.